Why do I Run?

To honor and remember friends and family members affected by heart disease and stroke.

Upcoming 50 States Marathons:

State #27: Duke City Marathon, Albuquerque, NM 10/20/2019


Sunday, June 19, 2016

Finished 3 Marathons in 3 States in 3 Days!!

And I'm HALF WAY THROUGH THE 50 STATES for Tedy's Team and the American Stroke Association!!

Just over a week ago, I made my way to Salt Lake City to meet running friends, and then we continued on our journey to Bear Lake for a triple marathon weekend for the Bear Lake Endurance Marathon Series... that's 78.6 miles in 3 days!!

In the weeks leading up to the trip, I was a little nervous having never completed a triple before.  I had some chronic spine issues that severely cut down on my training, but I was able to keep up enough training to prepare (I hoped).  I knew that once I arrived, even though my pace might be a little slower, that my cause and my heart and stroke heroes would take me to the end, and they most certainly did!

After a 2.5 hour drive in our little (and I mean little) rental car up and up and up (to an elevation of ~6200 ft), we arrived in Bear Lake, which crosses over the border of Utah and Idaho.  We stopped at a lookout and were amazed by the incredible views of the lake we would be running around for the first two marathons.  It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but the lake had some of the brightest blues and aquas I've ever seen.



We arrived in Montpelier Idaho, picked up our packets, and were off to dinner.  Bright and early the next morning was the first marathon of the weekend in Idaho, which was a nice short walk from the hotel.  I was so excited to start off the weekend! 




This was one of the smallest marathons I've run, as you can see from the start photo, but awesome none-the-less.  Soon we were off, and soon I was experiencing what it feels like to run at 6200 feet with less than 24 hours to adjust from our 1000 ft elevation in Atlanta - yikes!  There was a feeling of not quite being able to get enough oxygen together with some dizziness and nausea that unfortunately lasted through the first two marathons.  So I slowed it down and just tried to take in the amazing views, and also to say hello to the many cows, sheep, horses, and even snakes (eek!) along the way!

I was really feeling the altitude issues together with heat and no shade from the sun, and struggled through mile 18.5, where I missed a turn on the course.  Thankfully there were people out watching for runners and I was redirected back onto the course (phew!), leading me to run almost an extra mile.  Because I was already not feeling well, this really got me down for a little while.  But then I struck up conversation with another runner who had made the same mistake, and this got me feeling a little better.  He eventually ran ahead to make his way to the finish, and I had to really dig down for those last miles.  As I thought about my stroke and heart heroes, and all they have been through or are going through, I found the strength and energy to make it to the end.  It wasn't my fastest marathon by far, but I finished for State #23 for Idaho!




Later that night, my IT band was letting me know that it was very unhappy with the day, and so I did the very feared ice bath (it was actually just extremely cold water, which was cold enough for me!).  Miraculously, the next morning, it had recovered and did not bother me again for the rest of the weekend, which was pretty amazing! 
 
Then it was onto DAY 2 in Utah for State #24!
The next day, we had a 50 minute drive to Utah for the second marathon of the weekend!  It was a cooler morning, and the temperature did not get as high, which I was very happy about.  This was the beautiful sunrise during the car ride out to the start...
 

 We were off and running bright and early!  I was still struggling with dizziness and nausea through the second marathon, but it was a little bit better than the first day.  There were more incredible views of Bear Lake and the mountains, and we continued to be cheered on by cows and horses (no snakes today).  This was one of the friendly cows that I met along the way :).


 Somewhere around mile 19 or so, there was some excitement, as some cows had gotten loose, and they were walking along the road, and then were herded back to their pasture.  About a mile after that, two horses had gotten loose and were running along the road before being guided back into their field.  I grew up around farms, but I really had never seen that volume of farms or cows and horses before.  They are truly beautiful animals, and as a a non-meat-eater, I tried to focus on their beauty, and not what the future likely had in store for them.  I continued on, and soon I was reaching mile 23, then 24, then 25, then... wait!  A super steep hill just before the finish!  But it just added to the challenge and soon I was up and down the hill, and across the finish line for State #24 in Utah!




 

And then onto Day 3 in Wyoming for State #25!
This was another short drive, and the smallest race I've ever run.  It was an out-and-back course, and the amazing views continued.  

 

Just as we were starting came one of my favorite moments of the marathons, when I looked over and all of the cows in the pasture started running next to me.  They were even mooing!  I've never seen anything like that, and it was pretty cool to see.  As I continued, I even caught a glimpse of a rainbow for just a few seconds.

 
All along, my chronic neck/spine pain had been strongly present, but on the third marathon, it was at it's worst.  Thankfully, I had adjusted to the altitude and so that was no longer causing problems.  But I really had to think about my cause and everyone I was running for to get through that pain.  I took extra walking breaks and just took it one step at a time - I had come this far and was determined to finish my 3rd marathon and 25th state!  

One thing about running is that it gives you lots and lots of time to think.  As I started to think about the fact that this was my 25th state, I became a little emotional.   I really could not believe that I was at the half way point of my 50 states goal.  I thought about all those I knew that had been affected by heart disease and stroke, some of which were only in the past year and even past months.   I also started to think a little about what it will be like when I finish the 50 states for Tedy's Team and the American Stroke Association/American Heart Association, and for all those that I carry with me as I complete every marathon, and just the thought of it brought tears to my eyes as I ran.  This gave me incredible strength to continue through any pain I was feeling.  It also made me realize that my 50th state will bring tears of many emotions, because this cause is so close to my heart.

I continued on, and soon I was crossing the finish line of my 3rd marathon and 25th state!  I was pretty excited to have finished my third marathon and reached the half way point in the same marathon, and my finish line photo reflects this :).  And yes, it took some post-marathon stretching before I was able to do this happy jump for the camera.


 
 And that was the end of my triple marathon long weekend!  It was pretty incredible, and I'm so happy that I had the opportunity to do it, and persevered through the altitude issues and neck pain.  I even came home with an extra medal - a belt buckle - for completing all three marathons for the trifecta challenge.  I never would have made it to the end without all those who have supported me, and all those that I am running for, and so thank you to all of you and know that I carry my stroke and heart heroes with me through every mile of every marathon!

Next up for State #26 is still being figured out, but I will update my page soon!

Marathon Highlights
AMAZING VIEWS!
Excellent swag (medals are great, plus sweatshirt, socks, a hat, and extra medal for trifecta)
Very friendly and easy-going race
Amazing views (just for extra emphasis)

No comments:

Post a Comment