Why do I Run?

To honor and remember friends and family members affected by heart disease and stroke.

Upcoming 50 States Marathons:

State #27: Duke City Marathon, Albuquerque, NM 10/20/2019


Saturday, May 12, 2012

Finished State #6 at the New Jersey Marathon!



Another great 26.2!  On May 6th, I crossed the finish line for State #6 at the New Jersey Marathon in Oceanport, and what a perfect marathon day.  It was a little chilly waiting for the start, but I had a garbage bag to keep me warm (a cheap alternative to throwing away an old sweatshirt).  We headed out at about 8:00 in the morning and I was feeling pretty good.

All was going well and I was running at good comfortable pace through most of the race.  The weather was perfect - 50-60s and cloudy with a little bit of a breeze.  I met a few folks and chatted along the way, which made it go by even faster.  At about mile 18, the sun came out and it got a little toastier, but not bad.

At mile 20 I was feeling pretty good, and discovered that this was the first marathon I have run where we ran through the middle of a building!


Shortly after passing through the building, I suddenly started feeling a little bit under the weather.  I figured I probably needed some fluid and electrolytes, and so I took a longer than usual walking break while munching down a handful of Sports Beans.  I drank a cup of straight Gatorade at the next water stop (usually I cut it with water), and a few minutes later, everything kicked in and I was able to run from mile 22 to the end with only a few short walking breaks.   However, on my extended walking break, I was able to enjoy a pretty great view.


Even when I struggled a little around mile 21-22, I thought of everyone who I was running for and it gave me the inspiration to know that I could make it to the end.  The last miles of the marathon went quickly, and soon I was across the finish line!!




Race Highlights:
Very well organized race
Met lots of fellow Marathon Maniacs along the way
Scenery was great over the last few miles
Flat course
Perfect weather for a marathon

#1 Song that got me through a tough patch:
We Are Young - FUN

No comments:

Post a Comment